The building located at 3 Pleasant Street was historically referred to as Brick Market, being the namesake of Market Square, located in the heart of downtown Portsmouth New Hampshire.
Originally constructed in 1794 as a one story public market, with a second floor built in 1800 as a town hall. The building burnt down in the 1802 fire and was rebuilt in 1804 with arched openings for 10 merchants’ stalls on the street level and continued as an auditorium for town and public meetings. In 1864 the City of Portsmouth remodeled the Brick Market as a City Hall and renamed the building to “Jefferson Hall”. An observer at the time thought the remodeled building looked like “a donkey with elephantine ears”.
The building continued to be used as City Hall until 1910 when the City of Portsmouth sold the property to The New Hampshire National Bank of Portsmouth for $20,000. At the time of the sale the subject parcel was considered the most valuable piece of property in the City.
Initial Project Renderings for 3 Pleasant Street
The surface parking lot located on the corner of Penhallow Street and Daniel Street is steeped in history with the original building constructed in 1740, known as the Clagett-Hart House.
Years later during the Revolution, Noah Parker resided in the pretentious edifice and it was locally known as “Noah’s Ark” from which Ark Street (now Penhallow) got its name. Noah Parker was a blacksmith & whitesmith, and also became Portsmouth’s first universalist minister.
In the great fire of 1813 practically, every building was destroyed in the entire area except Noah’s Ark survived which was considered extraordinary since it was a wooden structure. In the late 1800’s and early 1900’s multiple buildings were constructed on the subject parcel and well know local businesses including Moe’s Italian Sandwich, Eagle Photo and Gilley’s Lunch Truck all occupied buildings on the parcel. In the 1950’s Noah’s Ark and the adjacent building were razed for a parking lot in a wave of Urban Renewal. The surface parking lot will now become home to the first contemporary architecture in downtown Portsmouth Historic District.
Initial Project Renderings for 60 Penhallow Street
Check back for more details soon.